Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Times, They are A-Changin'

With less than two weeks until we leave, the reality of this adventure and the move that follows is starting to set in. A week from this Saturday, we board a plane and head probably as far away from Western Civilization(TM) that I've ever been. It's a bit daunting.

The culture shock - that I can probably deal with. Yes, I'll miss the internet, but I've found I deal well enough when unplugged. I'm actually not too worried about the culture differences. The reading I've been doing has put some things at ease, though I do wish it was a bit more recently published. (1985 is when most of these were published, which was 10 years after the country gained independence. It's been nearly 15 years since then, and I know how much the US has changed in that time.)

I'm feeling a bit ungrounded with what I'm going to be doing. There's been talk about me doing tech work there, as they're apparently desperate for on-site technical support. The real questions I have are what decade of technology will I be supporting. (And will all be computers or will it be things like "the ultrasound doesn't work right".) I'm sure I can muddle through that well enough, but a bit of foreknowledge would be nice.

It will be an adventure, certainly. (The flight out there alone with Miriam will be an adventure.)

2 comments:

  1. It's all sounding rather exciting.

    a) If you ever end up in Darwin Hospital, ask for Dr Brent. (He's my Brother in Law, and an excellent doctor)

    b) If you make it any further south in Australia, say, for instance, at the end of your time there, yell. I'm in Melbourne and would love to come and meet you guys wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should the ultrasound not work, email me. My husband designed an ultrasound, so he may have some insights to help you fix it.

    ReplyDelete