Saturday, May 30, 2009

Suffer ye the little children...

I'm sitting on the South Shore line, watching my daughter make friends with a little girl she just met, chattering nonstop. I'm watching, and wondering where this extroverted creature came from. I look at strangers and I'm afraid - so worried about what they'll think, what they'll say - that simple conversation is a daunting task. What if I say the wrong thing? What if they don't like me? What if...
And I begin to understand what it means to be "like a child" - to know no strangers, to be ready to wonder, to approach the world with curiosity and joy. There are no 'what if' moments for Miriam - no worrying about what others will think. She just is - herself - without any artifice.

And what she is is beautiful.

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
- Luke 18:17

No comments:

Post a Comment