Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Another Technical Day

Spent today in the Tech Center, a couple of rooms filled with the servers and spare parts from the station. The server room is usually slightly warm and stuffy (the A/C is out, but ambient temp in the room is likely about 80, maybe mid 80s). The room attached to it with a number of spare parts (as well as the Big Ultrasound Machine) manages to stay cooler than more or less anywhere else on station. I'm just not sure how.

Today, I gained access to the station firewall/gateway/packet shaper. Mostly, so that I can show Scott how to reset usernames/passwords as needed. However, I also get to look around and see if I can find a better way help filter traffic. I think I might have already done so, but I'm not 100% sure yet. We'll see if the changes I made help. (They seem to be, but I can't tell if that's just because I'm the only one on the web right now or because I moved http(s) traffic to have its own (sizable) chunk of bandwidth.)

Tomorrow, we go to a singsing, or at least a practice day for it. (I think. Lena says she -thinks- the man in charge of this whole thing is going to be there for a practice tomorrow. The actual singsing is Saturday.)

What is a singsing? It's a traditional feast/dance/party/thing where one village gives gift(s) to another. The culture here has a -lot- of gift giving built into it. Basically, whenever you have extra, you give it away. (And it's understood that the people you give it too will give you something if you need it and they can.)

No comments:

Post a Comment